Sweetcorn

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tess

Hi, i brought some ‘mini cobs’ sweetcorn plants last year (our cat having eaten my normal sized variety seedlings while they were on the window sill!). They grew really well but the cobs got to normal size and when I unwrapped them they were undeveloped, with missing corns. I’m guessing they crossed with someone else’s plants on the allotments. Any recommendations for a variety that would be more successful this year? Many thanks Tess

charles

Tess, I had the same experience with baby corn which I allowed to grow on, it was pale and tasteless with few juicy kernels. My favourite variety for sweet cobs (badgers permitting) is Sweet Nugget F1. I do find the hybrids to have sweeter and fuller cobs, and there are plenty of varieties to choose from. Some mature earlier and some later, so check the small print, according to when you want them. Early varieties make slightly smaller cobs so mid season ones are often best.

Re strawberries, I shall leave that to someone else as I am growing only summer varieties at the moment (Sonata, is excellent).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags