Is ‘soil conditioner’ ok to use as mulch?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Is ‘soil conditioner’ ok to use as mulch?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Sarahlou

I am struggling to get hold of enough organic matter to put a thick mulch on my beds. However, there is a household waste composting centre close by that take all the green and mixed kitchen waste and turn into sterile ‘soil conditioner’. It’s 100% organic, peat-free and recycled. I thought this would be perfect as the mulch but when I spoke to them they told me it really needs to be mixed in with the top soil? I’d really like to understand the difference between what is good organic matter and what is a ‘soil conditioner’. Any advice appreciated!

charles

Perhaps it all depends on how you understand these words, and what other people mean by them. Some people use the word ‘manure’ for chemical fertiliser. If you receive advice such as "it really needs to be mixed in", ask why. 

With compost, it is not only a question of ingredients, but of process. Municipal compost needs by law to be free of pathogens (although many supposed ‘pathogens’ are, I think, beneficial to soil) so they make sure it has got really hot and this can destroy many good fungi and bacteria. Perhaps a little soil mixed in will then help it revive, or mix a little animal manure or garden compost, returning life to inert organic matter, which is perhaps what people mean by soil conditioner, something to give structure at least.

Good organic matter is full of life. For vegetable growing it is also well decomposed, dark in colour, not totally uniform, not perfect! 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags