Manure Trials

This topic contains 48 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ocrowe 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles, since my disaster with my first batch of Horse Manure I have been trialling from various sources.

Results of Horse Manure are hugely disappointing.

Since my first try, I purchased another batch and planted Runner, French and Barlotti beans with miserable results.

This photo shows the Beans which were sown 12 May and now show distorted and stunted growth.

Beans Sown 11 May 2016

plantmark
    Participant

I have since purchased sample bags of a third Horse Manure. I found a farm where they are processing the manure and bagging it for sale in garden centres under the brand name Equigrow.

I trialled it with B&Q Verve Compost alongside the original manure and green compost.

Results of the third manure are also miserable and if anything worse than the first.

Planted 30 June.
    The first photos shows from the left – B & Q Verve, Manure#1, and on the right Manure# 3 (# 2 was tested with beans and not even worth including)

The photo showing the whole raised bed has the Green Compost to the left which was planted 5 days after the others on 5 July and the results are very encouraging. Plants look fresh and bouyant.

In the section to the right of the green compost I have only just planted up Mushroom Compost but the downside of that is that the source I have found is much more expensive than the Green Compost. The Green Compost is a good consistency compared to the first two manures which I had to spend a large amount of time chopping with the spade.

The conclusion is that for me, the safest bet is Green Compost to which I am happy to add Chicken Manure Pellets in the hope that this boosts nutrients to top levels.

Now all I have to do is barrow out 8 tons of rubbish manure and start again. I wont be beaten!!

I thought this was interesting knowledge for others. I for one, had no idea it was so hard to find good horse manure.

Manure Trial

Manure Trial

Manure Trial

Manure Trial

plantmark
    Participant

Close up of Green Compost growth

Green Manure

charles

Mark it is kind of you to share all the results of your trials and diligent to undertake them.
    I am shocked by the problems you have had and it looks like that horrible aminopyralid is present. So much for farmers (who grow the horses’ hay) honouring the agreement they sign that anything sprayed with AP stays on the farm.
    Its tragic that a valuable resource for gardeners has been turned to poison.

Yes I agree that your green waste compost looks good, well done making that comparison.

plantmark
    Participant

The three manures were all purchased from random sources and unconnected and all three sources collect from many different Farms/Stables.

What I have learned from this is that Herbicide is clearly VERY common in Horse manure and it is very unwise to buy from such suppliers and only source from individual farms or stables.

Farmers signed agreements are just paperwork for the file in case of inspection.

I have also learned to be VERY diligent with this in future!

Leif
    Participant

I buy an organic composted stable manure in big bags from the local garden centre, it is fine thus far, possibly hot composted which should break down any amynopyralids, not that such things should be on certified organic matter. It’s probably a lot costlier than your farmyard stuff.

charles

Leif, hot composting does not decompose aminopyralids. They do break down in contact with soil organisms.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Mark,

I have to say I really admire your determination in the face of such setbacks. You have my respect. Many would have thrown in the towel and walked away.

I use Horse Manure and my own Garden compost. I source my Horse Manure from racing stables as these have to be very careful about what chemicals the horses come into contact with either directly or indirectly and thankfully I have never encountered the problems you have faced.

I’m sure it will all come right for you in the end,

Don.

plantmark
    Participant

Hi Don. Thanks for that. Yes, once I have a challenge it has to be done come what may.

I do have a source of good manure from 2 horses in the field adjacent to my garden. Problem is that I need 10 or 12 tons initially for my veg and flower beds and the only source of that quantity I have found has been companies who clear it from various stables. Clearly not an option!
    I am fairly confident about the Green Compost and hope to report some success in the coming months.

Mark

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Mark,

I would suggest you contact one of the racing stables. If your looking for such a large amount they might just give it to you for nothing.

Don.

plantmark
    Participant

Thank you for the tip Don.

plantmark
    Participant

Charles, I sowed Broad Beans in 100% Green Compost 4 June.

New growth is showing blackened tips.

Is this a cause for concern?

Mark

Green Compost Trial

Green Compost Trial

charles

Oh no this looks bad. Its not normal! I am afraid it looks like the dreaded ap damage, curling leaves, and have you sown anything else e.g. French beans, potato, tomato to cross check?

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I have sown French Beans. They look OK so far?

Sadly the Green Compost was my last option.

French Beans

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I feared you might say that. I have sown French Beans. They look OK so far?

It would be extraordinary if AP were in the Green Compost. Have you heard of this before?

Overall the health of the plants is much improved on the Horse Manure’s.

So far the B & Q Compost is looking like the only safe bet!

French Beans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags