Any ideas for non-cultivated area of allotment?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Any ideas for non-cultivated area of allotment?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kath 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Kath
    Participant

Good morning all

Not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I would welcome any suggestions for the non-cultivated area of our allotment.

We are thinking of having a small area where we can sit and relax and take in the view, listen to the birdsong, etc., but would also like part of the plot to be wildlife friendly, without being weedy (if that is possible..). We have numerous frogs around the place – it seems every plot has some, so would like perhaps a refuge area for them, as well as an area that will encourage bees to visit us.

I have been thinking of maybe a ground cover alternative to grass, if there is one, to keep weeds down, and perhaps a wildflower ‘meadow’, or would that in itself cause problems?.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Kath

Sandra
    Participant

You could try a little pond, nothing fancy, just a dip in the ground would do,few inches deep at most with graduated sides so that anything getting in there could also get out. The birds would like it as well.

Or, one of our neighbours has quite a deep container, probably a couple of feet high, just a flower pot shape it is and he has a miniature water lily in it and it looks great. I wouls also want to put a ramp on the side to help anything get out if it fell in!

I have never had one, or even seen one, but how about a low growing plant to have instead of grass. Chamomile? (Spelling?) Or you could pave an area, enough for a couple of chairs and a table. Crazy paving? Decking if you can get anything like that from your local Freegle maybe?

I have often used the seed that you can get, in a box, B&Q, Home Bargains and places like that sell them. They usually have a theme, eg bee friendly, or specific colour themed flowers etc. I have used them for the last few years and they work well and are very easy as far as looking after them goes. You would have to be quick though, we are in June already. The plants are just annuals, but some like poppies might seed themselves for another year, we have got fennel, both green and a bronze colour, orange and yellow poppies, growing from seed from last years plants. They are cheap to buy too. They are in a box and you tear off the side to find 4 or 5 holes, you rake the soil level and shake the box to release the seed. It is mixed with a little sawdust so you can see how much you have put down and where. Water it in and bob’s your proverbial! No covering the seed either.

Why can I never limit my messages? They seem to go on and on, sorry again.

Dieter
    Participant

You could plant some bulbs that open early in the year, which I always experience as an invitation to enter the garden when there still isn’t that much to do. Add some other flowering plants, perennials or self-sowing annuals, that begin flowering from May on. I personally like calendula, but one large patch of it might become boring after a while. Nevertheless, an easy, undemanding and beautiful plant.

Perhaps a note on what you should not do: plant an evergreen low-growth bush-like cover, of a type that is often used to reduce garden maintenance for those that like to have something green in their garden but don’t want/can’t involve themselves with gardening. They are often a hiding place for slugs, which I assume you don’t want in your allotment.

Kath
    Participant

Thanks very much for your replies, they have given me some food for thought :0).

ruth noble
    Participant

In terms of wildlife friendly area, what about creeping thyme? I have put it in actually quite an unsuitable area (too much shade) but it is doing great. You mow it a couple of times a year, you can walk on it (smells amazing) aand it should be great for the bees when it blooms. It is thick enough to stop weeds. The version that has worked for me is Wooly (or woolly) thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus).

Kath
    Participant

Hi Ruth

I like that idea very much, anything that will help to keep the weeds down once I have cleared the area will be very welcome. I have not heard of that particular variety before – will investigate.

Thanks

al
    Participant

I have a bed of globe artichokes interplanted with sorrel which are ornamental as well as edible also my son in law has planted lots of sunflowers but they are difficult to mow around

Paul
    Participant

Hi Kath I think a small pond is an excellent suggestion,also you could lay a random patio.
    Think of a normal flagged patio with flags missing,plant perennials or whatever you like in the gaps.
    The gaps are very low maintenance..

Kath
    Participant

Thanks Al. I planted some sunflowers which I had grown from seed at home. They were a good foot or so high, but unfortunately there is nothing left of them but stalks now 🙁
    Thanks for your ideas Paul. Def thinking about a pond….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags