Pony poo or cow muck – which makes the better compost for beds?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Pony poo or cow muck – which makes the better compost for beds?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Merbs 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Hi all,

I have access to both free pony poo (as of now) and cow muck that I will have to pay for and organise transport (from August).

Other than weed content, are there any differences between the two as growing mediums?

Thanks,

CP

Cleansweep
    Participant

If you can manage the logistics, take both! How you use it will depend on the state/age of material.Certainly cow manure from a winter lairage, often cleared in early autumn to accomodate the cattle in the approaching winter will be a sound proposition as it will likely contain a high proportion of straw as well.A blend will not matter, and may have differing minerals and trace elements.Even horse manure with a shaving , woodchip or sawdust bedding will compost in time.
    The potential danger of aminopyralid is greater with horse manure Although its tricky to trace the source of hay, if you can find a cattle farmer who grows his own winter forage, he will know what he has used. Silage is made with a range of broadleaf herbs as well as grass, therefore risk free.Such a source has the kit to deliver, its a ‘beer’ thing!! I realise the benefits of life in a rural area.

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks Cleansweep.

All things being equal I’d definately take both but the pony poo is available now, and more importantly – free!

Great point about the risk of Aminopyralid which I’d forgotten about. I assume the risk is low in this case as the ponys belong to a anthroposophic setup (which I perhaps mistakenly think of as “organic plus”). I will have to check up on the source of food and bedding for the ponys.

I suppose my main question was whether the compost produced from either the cow muck or the pony poo was better to use than the other. That might be something to do with your reference to beer which sadly now living on the continent I drink very little of – oh for a pint of Black Sheep in a Dales pub on a summer evening!!!

Merbs
    Participant

I’ve read that horse manure is richer in nitrogen than cow manure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags