Acid soil

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Acid soil

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sahira Ward

Hi Charles

Is it ok to use leafmould to top dress a bluberry?

Regards

Sahira

charles

Hello Sahira, leaf mould is not acidic so it may raise the pH. If your soil is generally pretty acidic, no problem.

Sahira Ward

Hello Charles.

My blueberry is in a crate and I used shop bought ericaceous soil. I just wanted to give it a boost. So would composted horse manure be the correct pH? Great news Charles I’ve been given permission from Central Beds Highways to set up the beginnings of Incredible Edible Dunstable 100 metres from my front door. You probably wont remember the site by our shops when you visited last year. I need to know if it’s ok to leave the roots of Pyracanthus and Rose of Sharon shrubs in the soil and then just install the raised beds on the top of them.

Kind regards

Sahira

charles

Congratulations! Sounds like you will be busy there… I would leave all the smaller roots in those beds after taking out the main stumps, then beds on top.

Animal manures are mostly neutral pH (unless putrid and smelly) so the horse manure would lift the pH of your ericaceous compost and it is safest to give it more of the latter.

ashleigh
    Participant

i top-dressed my blueberries with needles and twigs from a pine tree that had been chopped down and left in a heap. i was also considering collecting people’s discarded xmas trees for this, will do this next year.

charles

Apparently the acidity in pine needles becomes weak as they dry out and soil under old pine trees is often of similar pH to the same soil which is not under pine trees….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags