Allotment Sprayed with Weedkiller – How to prepare

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Allotment Sprayed with Weedkiller – How to prepare

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

“E”

Hello!

Complete and utter novice here, I’ve just picked up my first allotment plot, and have discovered the Allotment Association have already sprayed the plot thoroughly with weedkiller. I’m determined to try the no-dig method, but I’m not sure how to start from here.

Do I need to wait for the weeds that have been sprayed to die, and pull them up, before covering it over with a thick layer of compost?

Or can I just proceed as usual?

I’ve attached an image of the plot, you can see where all the weeds have started to brown.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, I just couldn’t find it when I had a look.

Any advice really appreciated 🙂

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi gembeb, thats a shame! I think there are two ways of going at this. One would be to wait for the weed killer to do its job and for that you will need the sunshine I think. Then you could just clear the weeds away. However, if you want to do no dig, you will be putting compost on anyway, probably with a cardboard base to stop the weeds coming through, so you could go ahead this way and start planting things into it.

My concern would be the weed killer and whether it has a residue that would get into your vegetables. I prefer to grow organically but you haven’t really been given a choice here!

Someone else might come along with some advice about the weed killer…

“E”

Yes that’s my worry, I feel like leaving the weedkiller and contaminated weeds in the compost to mingle with my new plants and veggies as they grow down could be bad, I’m not actually sure how long the weedkiller is active for.

I’m at a bit of a standstill until I figure this one out…and until this awful weather clears up!

Thank you for your advice.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Try to find out from the Allotment secretary what* was applied and when. Perhaps ask to see the container, which will give information regarding replanting. Do all the plants appear to be dead?.
    Hopefully, the treatment done was to allow use of the plot this year.I would be inclined to plant up ,depending on the replies you receive, as if all was good.You will soon see if things survive!
    Perhaps proceed, working towards no dig from the coming Autumn, snatching a crop this year if you can.
    *Feel free to ask further, from here or the manufacturers website once you know what was used.
    Good Luck
    Cleansweep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags