Ants in the greenhouse

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Ants in the greenhouse

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

shadiya

I’ve got loads of ants in the greenhouse where I do most of my propagation, every time I lift a seed tray, hundreds scuttle about, clutching eggs and generally getting underfoot. I’m never quite sure whether they are doing any harm or just being a minor inconvenience, any thoughts?

charles

Yes same in my propagating bench where they live in the sand and emerge every spring. They are flying ants, darker and smaller than red ants and appearing to do less damage. I am about to lay battens on the sand for seed and plant trays to rest on so they are not in contact with the ants below. Ants love it warm and dry so keeping the sand moist reduces their activity.

Outdoors it is busy with red ants and in one bed I have lost 4 calabrese plants, keeled over where a new nest has developed. Does anybody have a remedy that is kind to other soil life?

bluebell
    Participant

I have a similar problem in my bed of sweet corn, normally I would use boiling water but dont fancy running across to the allotment with a kettle full as Im bound to encounter bouncy dogs or low flying footballs.

So I too would be very interested to hear of friendly alternatives.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I have one plot that is heavily infested due to the sandy nature but the only real draw back is with seedlings. Ants and mining bees burrow and tunnel in the seed bed and can cause serious root disturbance at a crucial time. If conditions are good for germination and establishment of the young plants I can get away with it but the recent cold spell meant that early growth was poor and seedlings eventually died off. I`m experimenting with sowing into garden compost to see if this helps. You could encourage Green Woodpeckers which feed almost exclusively on ants or try to eliminate all the nice cosy little places that ants like but I know this would be very difficult, they`re very tenacious and persistent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags