aphids on lettuce

Community Community Garden Problems Pests aphids on lettuce

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  shropshirechillifarm 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Toby Nicol

The lettuce crop has been attacked by aphids, never seen so many. There are few ladyirds – is this all due to lack of rain ? Have watered but only when really dry. What’s the best way of reducing this ?

charles

Hi Toby

Yes dry soil is one factor but there is an amazing abundance of aphids just now, later than usual. I have some on tomatoes where ventilation is lacking in the tunnel and there are ladybirds too who are perhaps a little overwhelmed…

I would give the lettuce plants a fair soak, splashing the water on and off their leaves. It looks like the weather will help because rain is coming later on Tuesday and by this time next week we may have had too much rain and your aphids may be significantly reduced.

Stevie342000

So far this year I have not had a problem with many pests, including the slimy ones. They seem to have reduced with the increase in biodiversity as I am trying to be as organic as possible.

I do not use any pesticides or herbicides or additional feed other than lots and lots of manure. Hopefully my own compost will be ready soon to add to the plots in autumn.

So far the broad beans which are usually worst for aphids/blackfly have not been attacked either.

But then I did inter-plant with wildflowers, marigolds and nasturtiums on most beds. The latter go really well with broad beans as aphids love them, no problem with lettuce either inter-planted with onions, shallots, nothing likes them.

Hi Toby

Aphids are part of a balanced eco-system and we accept that in theory until they cause trouble. I have created a wild cottage garden effect with self sown annuals, planted perennials and even beneficial weeds along the borders of my patch. The aim is obvious and the outcome is very few pests and loads of good guys and more ladybirds than I have ever seen. Even my glasshouses are buzzing as the pollinators look else where for flowers and a bit of protein. By rights my closely planted chillies should be suffering like they were before the flowers in my garden opened and yet no aphids. Spiders play a massive part indoors and I think they love the moss growing in between the frame and glass. Remember ladybirds love nettles. I think this could lead to an interesting topic – at what point can good garden hygiene be detrimental to us and our patch?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags