Apple trees

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Apple trees

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jawilliams
    Participant

I have just ordered an apple tree for my half size allotment but I’m relying on trees in nearby allotments for pollination. Will this work? I only really have enough room for one tree unfortunately.

charles

One could get into details here about varieties and pollination groups but I would be amazed if it doesn’t work and your tree may well help pollination of the others too.

jawilliams
    Participant

Thank you for your speedy reply. It’s great that someone with your great knowledge is willing to share it so freely with us novices!

SpadelessAde
    Participant

Hope you don’t mind me putting a comment in here for what it’s worth, but I have a Bramley apple tree at home, it’s about 6 years old now – there are no apple trees nearby that I know of, and every year it has fruited no problem. Guess there must be one out there somewhere that bees visit and then come over to mine!!

charles

I like this! things often work when, if you read the technical specifications, they are not meant to. Insects do a lot more good than harm, and many unsung wild bees are a major factor in pollination, as much as honeybees.

compostpope
    Participant

You could also have a look at orangepippintrees.co.uk – they sell fruit trees and their web site has loads of interesting info about fruit tree cultivation.

I too would be amazed if you have a problem with pollination. In the event that we are all wrong though you could try training a cordon from a matching pollinator which would’nt take up much space….

Compostpope

bluebell
    Participant

If you are growing in a small space these guys are very helpful.
    http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk they grow hundreds of varieties in a very small space and I found them most helpful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags