Apple varieties?

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Apple varieties?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

I’m hoping to get around to my long awaited cordon fruit tree frame system, and I’m starting to make choices on varieties to include. Having grown “scrumptious” at home, I can highly recommend it for juiciness, aroma and beautiful flavour. I live in North Yorkshire.

If you could recommend one variety based primarily on flavour, which would it be? Any suggestions welcome.

prt
    Participant

I like Ellison’s Orange which has an aniseed flavour on top of a rich taste similar to a Cox. It’s also juicy and definitely moreish. I’ve only had a cordon a few years but it has proven reliable with good yields.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks prt for your response. I’d given up on this thread way back and catch it now by chance. I’m actually ordering my trees tomorrow so your timing is good, basing varietal choices on Charles list and some others I have gathered. Delivery in December so time to get the frame system up before then. Thanks again.

charles

I missed this one.
    For early apples Katy and Laxton Fortune.
    Mid season October, Lord Lambourne, Sunset, Egremont Russett & Ribston Pippin, among others.
    Keepers could be Jonagold, Kidds Orange.
    Best of planting to you.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks Charles and I realise you can’t be everywhere, no worries. It’s taken a while (6 years) to get them in – at least the soil is clean now 🙂 Gardens are never finished I guess…thanks again.

Karen Guthrie
    Participant

Ribston Pippin is exceptionally well-flavoured (in Cumbria) and stores well, and we also enjoy Brownlees Russett for the same reasons.

amy lynn
    Participant

I like Ashmead’s Kernel which has excellent aromatic flavour . It’s also juicy and crisp. I’ve only had a cordon a few years but it has proven reliable with good yields. Here are more apple varieties: https://docsbay.net/apple-varieties , hope could help you.

compostpope
    Participant

You can also google “Orange pippin fruit trees” for lots of useful info and varietal comparisons aout all sorts of fruit trees. Also very helpful after sales service.

CP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags