Asparagus beetle

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Asparagus beetle

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

beverley
    Participant

Hi,

Can you help? I have a massive infestation of asparagus beetle on my plants.  I have been picking them off and squashing them.  However, as soon as I remove them, a new horde alights.  It is quite bad.

I am about to resort to spraying them.  I am reluctant to do this, but the infestation is so heavy that I fear I may lose future crops if I don’t act soon.

Any thoughts on how to control these pests?

Many thanks,

Beverley

charles

Sorry about this and the only remedy I know is picking and squashing as you have been doing
    Are they young plants, not picked and hence already growing into ferns? Otherwise healthy? Is it very dry with you? 

beverley
    Participant

HI Charles,

Thanks for your questions.

The plants are mixed – some are healthy fat spears, and others are thin spears that go to ferny stage quite rapidly.  The beetles like them all!  I was planning to stop harvesting and let the crop go to the ferny stage, but am hesitating because of the infestation. (The asparagus bed was planted with crowns about 5 years ago).

We have had ample rain this spring, and I have also been watering the asparagus bed once a week, so it should not be too dry.

Cheers,

charles

Nothing there sounds bad, I should have asked if your soil is in good heart with some compost added in the last year?

beverley
    Participant

HI Charles,

The soil should be in good heart.  The bed was well prepared before planting 5 years ago.  Since then, I dress it every autumn after cutting down the ferns with seaweed fertiliser, rock dust, and a liberal dressing of manure. I keep the bed well weeded, and endeavour to keep it well watered.  The soil itself is, I think, London loam(?), so not too heavy and not too light.

I have been practising the no-dig approach for at least 3 years, so my allotment as a whole should be full of healthy “vibes”

charles

All sounds good, which makes infestations of pests all the more frustrating. I think that the mild winter is behind a lot of this year’s pest problems. I hope there is a predator out there for the beetle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags