Basil experiment

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Basil experiment

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mart 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

charles

Here are results from comparing growth of basil in compost with different additions.

BASIL 2011 Sweet Genovese, in home made mix of 50% mushroom compost, 50% own compost

Two plants in each ten inch pot, grown in the greenhouse

one pot had two handfuls of volcanic lava dust 
    one pot had two hanfuls dried cow manure
    one pot was just compost

Harvests             17.7   25.7   2.8    9.8  1.9   8.9   22.9   6.10   19.10    TOTALS

LAVA DUST          60     25     40     60    35    30    45      50       30             375

C.M PELLETS      30     20     35     45    50    30    35      60       20              325

NOTHING            45       5      35     40    45    25    45      25       30              295 

The lava dust was a present, made in Germany, not available here yet. It has a more rapid effect than rockdust!

sue pogson

Hello Charles
    I was interested to read about lava dust and its basil-enhancing properties. I live on the slopes of a volcano and find the soil fantastic. I recently started growing basil – many varieties and the germination rate and time have been great – almost 100% success and showing within 3-5 days. Mine are grown in the volcanic soil mixed with well rotted horse manure and straw. It seems to suit all herbs – except lemon grass and lemon balm for some reason. A question? How is lava dust made in German? Isn’t it made in a volcano? Just to add – I love your natural no-dig way book although I sometimes get a bit lost trying to work out the seasons as I live in the semi-tropics. And hey – I never knew about the moon before and its so absolutely true! Thank you

charles

Hi Sue, thanks for these most interesting comments.

Lucky you having volcanic soil. I believe the lava dust is literally just that, pulverised exceptionally fine, like icing sugar, almost liquid in consistency. Well done the Germans for managing that, I don’t know where they import the lava from.

Lack of fineness is a problem with rockdust which is usually quarry waste and contains many larger fragments whose minerals are less available to plant roots, depending how many years one can wait!

Sub tropical conditions and volcanic soil sounds amazing for growing.

mart

Aber Leute,

Don’t you know they had vulcano’s in Germany? For instance the Eifel is a vulcanic area. Even to this day there is activity, not in the sense of erupting vulcano’s but it still might happen. If you happen to find yourself in Germany make sure you visit the area, some very nice sights (and racing circuits, I mena we are in Germany). I’m not German btw. but I know Germany is a fantastic country to visit, with fantastic nature and good beer. Btw in Germany they call the stuff Streulava or Lavasand.
    If you need lots of it call these guys:
    http://www.lavasandgrube.de/index.html

Btw Sue I wonder where you are in the world, I’m in Italy and have the same problem as you. Most of the times it is to hot, to much heat and sun is more of a problem than not enoug. That being sai, this summer it was so hot even tomatoes gave up due to heat stress. Thai chillies thrived however but what does one do with 3 kg’s of thai chillies haha, can’t bare any more hotsauce. Saluti!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags