Beans for Drying.

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Beans for Drying.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I managed to grow and harvest some beans for drying this season (borlotti, czar, and pea bean) and I’m pleased with the results.

I wondered why you decided upon borlotti and czar in particular – flavour, ease of picking, yield etc.? Just that the OGC contains some others to grow and they look tempting! Some are dwarf varieties and these often make good second crops, but I wonder if these dwarf varieties for drying need a full season, as do their climbing cousins, in order to mature in time?

Thanks for any help. The new videos are great – I really enjoyed them.

charles

You are right there are many, and why not try some otheres, I am just recommending some sure winners. I like Czar for its superb flavour, and Borlottis for good flavour too, high yield, tendency to ripen and dry in a uniform way, and ease of shelling when pods are dry, by walkig on them.

Other varieties will share some of these qualities, let us know how you get on.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I have had success with growing and drying lots of these “red kidney beans” and I know that you have to make sure that they are prepared correctly before use due to a toxic coating. Does this apply to any other dried beans/pulses?

Cheers

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

not that i’m aware, but some folk avoid eating legumes completely , thinking they are poisonous to the human system

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Pete & Dan, thanks for these pointers! I found a mixed selection available from ‘Jungle Seeds’ (never seen the company before) which looks intriguing. Most are dwarf varieties which could be less productive than the climbing varieties – anyone grown both and noticed much difference in yield per square metre?

Pete, the hungarian grazing rye is coming along nicely :-)

Charles, thanks for the tip on shelling by walking on the dry pods; time saving!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags