Best weight of fleece for vegetable seedlings in the ground

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Best weight of fleece for vegetable seedlings in the ground

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Merbs 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Merbs
    Participant

I’m in zone 8a in the U.S. and have finally been convinced to set aside my hatred of polyester and use fleece on my young plants. I want to find one that will hold up and be reusable for as long as possible. I’m completely confused by the choices of weight on Amazon. The thickness directly impacts light transmission. The Pacific Northwest – where I live- is already light-challenged, so I’d love some advice.

It runs from 85% light transmission for 19G -0.55 oz. to only 20% at 85G- 3.3oz. Of course each weight is rated for a temperature, from 28F to 15F.

The first place I’m using it is over grow back of beets and radishes; in the spring I’ll use it on lettuce and radishes in -ground. And probably other things once I get used it.

Merbs
    Participant

This is just to add tags and request to be notified of responses, since I accidentally posted too soon.

charles

Hi Merbs and yes I understand your dislike of polythene. With fleece however, the advantages are just immense!
    Yes light is a factor, and why I use it rarely in the dark days of autumn (from now!) and mostly lay it over from the Equinox until first hot weather.
    For autumn/winter I prefer mesh, less warm but stronger and protects from wind. And I cover v few crops then.
    In the UK there appear to be only 2 weight options now, 17gsm which is hopelessly flimsy, and 30gsm which is almost too thick. There used to be 25gsm, the best in my experience.

Merbs
    Participant

Thank you kindly – that’s very helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags