Black Rot on stored Carrots

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Black Rot on stored Carrots

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pete Budd 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pete Budd
    Participant

Ther was a previous thread that mentioned winter storage of carrots but I can`t find it. However; in it I stated that I stored my carrots in a mixture of sand and old potting compost. After a very successful carrot year last year I followed my normal procedure only to now find that my carrots have turned scabby with what I think is black rot, so its back to the drawing board. I am going to try leaving them in the ground this year with an insulating layer of compost next winter.

charles

Hello Pete, sorry to hear this, its a tricky one, possibly brought in on the seed you sowed. I think it persists a while in soil too. WHatever, I hope you get a good result next winter.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Pete, the thread was from myself and is located here:

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/forums/topic/storing-veg-safely-during-winter-months/

I will be growing carrots for winter storage this year so will try leaving some in the soil with insulation, some in a sack and maybe some in compost in a box. I have now erected additional shelving in my gararge which will make winter storage that bit easier. Best of luck with yours.

Pete Budd
    Participant

Thanks for the comments.
    Today I tried to rescue some carrots and found one container was un-affected. Interestingly the carrots that were ok had been in storage longer than the affected ones and were a different variety. This backs up Charles suggestion that seed may have been to blame and hopefully my 4 year rotation will give any soil borne contamination a chance to dissipate. I did wonder if the used compost in the storage medium might be to blame or possibly the problem is varietal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags