Boron is it organic?

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Boron is it organic?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kev 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RandA
    Participant

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/boron-liquid-fertiliser.html

I found this article and wondered if was the reason I cannot seem to grow cauliflowers or swede all other Brassicas do OK especially purple sprouting, so I was wondering if any others have this problem and is using Boron organic?
    This is what it started off saying

Boron is essential for the correct meristem growth (growing points of roots and shoots) and for carbohydrate metabolism, synthesis of nucleic acids and pollination.

Brassicas, in particular cauliflower, swede and turnip are susceptible to boron deficiency.

Boron deficiency occurs most frequently on coarse or sandy soils, soils with a pH greater than 7.0, and soils subject to excessive leaching. Boron also becomes less available during long periods of drought. Application of boron after observing symptoms is usually too late to prevent the problem.

Cleansweep
    Participant

In my understanding of the benefits of using organic matter to feed your soil, it’s the ability to build up the natural processes that allow your plants to access the micro-nutrients/trace elements/minerals that occur in the cycle of life. If the ingredients (organic matter as manure and/or composts) are supplied, once the correct balance of “life” is achieved in soil, there should be no great need to add “artificial” supplies. Whether a particular soil is correct for a given crop requirement is an area for life long development….

charles

Lovely Q is it organic. What does organic mean… if you are sure that your problems are lack of boron, maybe after a second opinion, I think fair to use it, just once hopefully. Do others in your area have this problem?

charles

Lovely Q is it organic. What does organic mean… if you are sure that your problems are lack of boron, maybe after a second opinion, I think fair to use it, just once hopefully. Do others in your area have this problem?

RandA
    Participant

I am really not sure. I think will try and do a test but it does seem to answer the problems we have getting cauliflowers to grow and swede to develop, I don’t really know what others do but I will ask at the next meeting of the local horticultural club at the end of the month and let everyone know.

Paul
    Participant

Well technically it is organic because it’s an element..
    I very much doubt though, a specific crop on an allotment would fail just because of a trace element missing.

Kev
    Participant

With the no-dig method promoted by Charles, I don’t think there would be a problem with boron deficiency, even if the underlying soil was deficient, because of the amount of organic material placed on top of the soil.

The exception might be if the source of the organic matter was solely compost derived from your own garden: “A garden cannot pull itself up by its own shoelaces”, to paraphrase John Seymour.

Seaweed is a very good source of trace elements, and personally I would rather use an “organic” source (in the chemistry meaning of the term) than apply a chemical, which may carry the risk of over-dosing, although I do not garden “organically” (as in the Soil Association meaning).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags