Bought in compost for first bed

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Bought in compost for first bed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JD 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

leftihimself
    Participant

Hi folks,

Can you tell me if any of the below are suitable for my first ever no-dig bed please?

http://www.pro-grow.com/pro-grow-soil-conditioner-bulky-bag-1-cubic-metre/p3

https://www.gardentopsoildirect.co.uk/organic-compost.html

My plan is:

-put down a couple of layers of cardboard on to my grass
    – wet the cardboard
    – within the same week, add 6 inches of one of the above composts framed with loose scaffold boards

Thank you very much in advance for your comments & feedback.

Lefi

Gwynleg
    Participant

That all sounds very expensive! Can you access any manure?

leftihimself
    Participant

Thank you for responding Gwynleg. I agree – it is expensive but I didnt feel that I had much choice and I am only looking for a tonne to get me started.

In terms of manure: Wouldn’t I use it to help activate a compost heap of my own that would be ready in months to come?

I have got some seedlings that are ready to be planted so I was hoping to get started with a no-dig bed over the weekend.

Thanks again!

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi. I was lucky as there is a farm near me that delivers well rotted manure to our allotments. If its well rotted you can use it straight away to plant into. If you cant get any then guess you will have to go for another source of compost. I have read the Charles uses spent mushroom manure but dont know if thats cheaper than ones you’ve found.

Christine
    Participant

I had to rely on bought compost this year too. I justified the cost by considering mental health benefits that my garden gives me! Much cheaper than a therapist!

JD
    Participant

Both the products you mention lefti are probably just some derivation of/similar to the municipal green waste compost you can get from your council. They like to dress it up with smart words to make it sound like must-have superfood for plants. You may be one of the lucky ones and your council may deliver. Mine don’t, but I was able to go to their recycling facility to collect some tubtrugs of compost free of charge. The downside of this is that the green waste is probably still composting (mine was 60 degrees) and may need storing for a few months before it’s optimal to use. I just limited myself to a couple of beds of bought compost, then used the green waste later when it was ready. Now trying to compost like mad. Don’t think there’s anything better than your own freshly made compost teeming with beneficial microbes.
    Best of luck and have fun with growing your first crops.
    Jan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags