Boundaries.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Wellies
    Participant

I have just finished our ground mounted solar panels. I have dug out all the top soil from beneath them to use the topsoil elsewhere. This has left a big area under the panels which will be filled with stone. The lower edge of the solar panels are about 18 inches from the ground.
    Along this lower edge I will have the edge of the stone beneath the panels and the start of a bed containing rhubarb.
    I am thinking of planting thyme or lavender along the edge to shade out any weeds that may try to grow along the edge of the stone and to make use of a few feet close to the panels. I can then occasionally trim the plant to keep it from shading the panels.
    Any other suggestions for a good plant for this?.

Also…
    How do people cope with having a no dig bed one side of a wire fence (sheep fencing) and grass the other?
    I can only think of maybe using timbers or slate or something as a physical barrier that can be strimmed against.
    Maybe a grass path along the fence extending away from the wire fencing a couple of feet. Then add timbers around the perimeter of the growing area so you have a clean edge of the grass that can be strimmed. The grass in the wire fence is then not a problem.

Any other solutions?

Cleansweep
    Participant

“Maybe a grass path along the fence extending away from the wire fencing a couple of feet. Then add timbers around the perimeter of the growing area so you have a clean edge of the grass that can be strimmed. The grass in the wire fence is then not a problem.”

This describes my arrangement, perimeter paths on three sides( Cold frames on north side) Originally beds set in to reduce chance of neighbouring livestock grazing crops.Perimeter fence is 800mm stockfence and 3 strands of plain wire(farmer preferred no barbed; but then used it on his own plot!) on 2.4m posts, driven in to be 1.8m. So far no deer….
    I have woodchip on cardboard for paths mainly and although grass tries to gain a foothold, its easily chopped back/hoed to remove.Provides a seperation zone from slug rich habitat and vole cover provided by the surrounding pasture.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags