Brassicas in manured beds

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Brassicas in manured beds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bradon 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bradon
    Participant

Hi No-diggers,

I’ve converted a dug allotment (dug by me when I took it on a year ago) to a no-dig plot, by covering all beds in a decent layer of rotted horse manure at the beginning of March. So far the transplanted modules (radish, peas, beetroot, onion, broad beans) are all looking very happy.

I have just planted out about 20 Greyhound cabbage plugs, started indoors and then some time in a cold frame. My plot neighbour saw me and said you shouldn’t plant brassicas in freshly manured beds – and I think I have heard this elsewhere in the past too. The manure seems well-rotted, though definitely clumpy, not like fluffy compost. Obviously it would have been better to mulch the beds in the Autumn, but I wasn’t able to do that. Is there a problem with putting cabbages into recently manured beds, and if so why? Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    B

Cleansweep
    Participant

Beg to suggest it would be the ‘fresh’ rather than the ‘manure’ that may cause issues . Fresh manure would release ammonia which could scorch leafy crops.Once composted (rotted 3 years?) sufficiently it has lost most of its ammonia gas and should be ok. I plant out with a trowel* and have not noticed a problem.
    * clay soil is still too tight for the dibber, but is getting better.(4th season)

Sausage
    Participant

The other issue often mentioned with manure and brassicas is acidity. If you’re really worried about that you could lime the bed against clubroot, but personally I haven’t noticed well-rotted manure being acidic. I’ve planted brassicas into it before without any problems and after all, your manure was only a surface mulch. Walking on the beds once the soil dries out a little may help to break up any remaining surface lumps.

bradon
    Participant

Thanks both for your replies. I did wonder about acdity, and thought perhaps of just sprinkling some handfuls of wood ash. I have planted a control group in a small dig bed which is unmanured so we shall see.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags