Cardboard in compost heaps

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Cardboard in compost heaps

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stevie342000 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Charlie

IThere has been concern in the press about dangerous levels of mineral oils in the cardboard use for cereal boxes and other foods. Is it still ok to put these in the compost heap?

charles

Hi Charlie, I had not heard of this one, I hoe it is wrong! the media like to scare us…

Charlie

It was in the news a lot last week, has been picked up by all sorts of sites if one googles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8367881/Cereal-box-health-warning-after-recycled-cardboard-study.html

The mineral oils (in the inks) are allegedly contaminating the food so I thought that if they were that potent they would not be good for compost heaps. Must admit I have been using mine to start the fire the past few days.

Interesting that I am more worried about my compost heap than eating contaminated food…. :)

Stevie342000

Well that should all do the environment no end of good if food producers stop using recycled paper./cardboard. As for Jordan’s it says a lot about their stance on what is considered to be a brand at the healthier end of the market.

I think it tastes like sawdust and any food that makes me feel like that I avoid. Food should be a pleasure and a joy not a punishment.

Anyhow I digress again, not a problem for me as the only cereal that I get in boxes is risotto rice and I usually decant it into a recycled glass container (a certain brand of Dutch coffee).

In fact I have very little of the printed type of cardboard around my home, I try to keep my environmental impacts to a minimum. I buy food loose whenever I can i.e. meat from a butcher and vegetables in paper bags from a grocer for those items such as oranges which I can not grow myself or currently do not grow.

Most breakfast cereals are loaded with sugar and salt, which is why I do not have them and the only cereal I eat is bread (homemade), pasta, rice or porridge oats which is delightfully cheap and a great source of slow release energy. Our food is over processed which is why I buy fresh ingredients and cook according to seasonality and availability. The only processed foods I have in stock are Olive Oil, cooking oil, balsamic vinegar, cheese (about to start making my own), butter (unsalted), lard, dried pasta and coffee.

My advice is move away from over processed saw dust disguised as food with the over judicious additions of salt and sugar to add flavour, to what is an otherwise bland product.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags