Carrots

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles,
    My carrots have been dreadful this year, only fit for the compost heap. They were grown in 6″ deep beds of Green Waste Compost on clay soil. Any thoughts please?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

From what I recall Mark, some of your other veg were excellent in the same conditions.
    Carrots like that can be a combination of seed quality/variety and soil quality. Adding a cover of homemade compost will really help, or leaf mould or even old woodchip, something with lots of life.

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks Charles, yes in the same area everything else looks great. In fact the carrot foliage looks fantastic. I have tried 2 different varieties with similar results.
    Some say that carrots should not be planted in newly fertilised areas but I find that hard to believe? I have never heard you say that.
    I should mention that I transplanted them this year after seeing that Which? did a trial by raising carrots in seed trays and transplanting them out. They had good results, so I thought I would give it go.

beverley
    Participant

Hi Plantmark,

My carrots this year look very similar to yours! I put it down to the bed that they are in – I think it is quite stony, but perhaps as Charles says, there are other contributing factors.

Nevertheless, I regard this years crops as a major success – especially as I had to sow 3 times to get any carrots at all! Not pretty, but plentiful and great for soup making. Another positive is the low incidence of carrot fly this year.

I did a late sowing in two other beds and will check to see if these are more akin to the classic carrot shape.

Cheers,
    Beverley

charles

I know that feeling Beverley. Wish you well on the next harvest.
    Mark, yes that makes all the difference that you planted not sowed, a classic result in my experience, forked roots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags