Celeriac

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JD
    Participant

This year is my first to try growing celeriac. I have grown some from seed in modules but have yet to create the bed they will be in (hopefully by the weekend). In Charles’ Vegetable Course book there is a recommended spacing of 15” – 21”. Can I intercrop something with them or will this affect the yields? Also I have transplanted my Sweetcorn at 1 foot/ 30cm spacing. Can I intercrop with a drawf french bean plant in the gap between or would this create problems for either? I’m currently using a cold frame over the sweetcorn as a cloche.
    Any advice or problems to look out for with the celeriac would be gratefully received, eg do I need to cover the crop with insect mesh?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Jan

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Jan.

Watering celeriac in dry, hot weather is a major help, although over watering can be an issue – I think Charles experienced this a couple of seasons back? Catch crop of interplanted radish could be possible but I have space elsewhere and find that celeriac is a challenge at the best of times, so I give it all the help I can; space, protection, no competition, watering regimen etc.

Additionally, if I didn’t net them, we’d lose the lot inside 48hrs to pigeons & rabbits – keep an eye open there. Best of luck.

JD
    Participant

Thank you Tris,
    Bed finally finished and much overdue celeriac finally planted. Don’t think it liked being in the plug trays so long. We’ll see how it gets on. It’s in a bed all on its lonesome with insect net over as some perpetual spinach has been decimated by leaf miner and I’m not sure if it’s the same type that attacks celeriac. Have put a dwarf French bean between each block of 4 sweetcorn and hope no ill effects.
    Thanks again
    Jan
    PS have people stopped using the forum or just extremely busy at the moment?

charles

Jan I am wondering if there are access problems.
    Since the spam attack, passwords have had to change and I think they have either gor lost or may be not working for some reason.
    I am worried that there are no posts in the last 4 days.

Cleansweep
    Participant

“Jan I am wondering if there are access problems.
    Since the spam attack, passwords have had to change and I think they have either gor lost or may be not working for some reason.
    I am worried that there are no posts in the last 4 days.”

Charles,
    it seems that the login now requires a positive re-assertion regarding agreement to terms, previously one could stay ‘logged in’
    Not a problem but not immediately obvious when it dumps one out.
    Cleansweep

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags