Celeriac – Any advice gratefully appreciated…

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Celeriac – Any advice gratefully appreciated…

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gabor 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Paul S
    Participant

Celeriac is my nemesis, I’ve tried to grow it many times over the years with little or no success. When it has grown I generally just get a big ball of roots with very little edible flesh..
    I would really like to be able to grow celeriac as its one of my all time favourite vegetables. If anyone has any advice that might help me on the way to celeriac success I would really appreciate it…
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

beverley
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    I too struggled with celeriac for many years and have had encouraging results of late – mainly due to planting in very compost rich soil and watering well. This is a link to some detailed instructions that may be helpful https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/celeriac
    Also check Charles’ books for instructions.

Fundamentally, sow seed early indoors, plant out in compost rich soil, water well, remove outer leaves later in the season. Harvest and enjoy!

Good luck!

Beverley

Paul S
    Participant

Thanks for the link Beverley, I will check it out.
    I had referred to Charles books but there wasn’t anything in there that I wasn’t already doing so I couldn’t work out why I had such poor returns for my effort, but I will give it ago again and see what I can get this year.
    Cheers, Paul

Gabor
    Participant

May I also add, since it’s a ‘bog plant’, it likes a well watered soil at all times, that doesn’t drain too fast. So that’s a challenge if we again have a summer like we’ve had last year.

Best,

Gabor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags