Checking out the new web site and rock dust

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Checking out the new web site and rock dust

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  davidk 10 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Eleanor
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your quick reply to my email about rock dust –5 handfuls per square metre–(except depends a bit on the size of the hands, I guess!).  Anyway, here is a test post to see if the new site is working.

And it will be interesting to see how/ if the rock dust works.  First time I’ve used it.  

Eleanor

Eleanor
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Just curious–how often should one put down rock dust?  You implied an application might last a few years?  And I am assuming one applies it and then puts down the manure.

Eleanor

charles

Yes it is slow release as the dusty granules are gradually  “activated” by microbes in soil and compost, but I don’t know how long the benefits continue, a few years I reckon. I usually spread it then compost on top but surface application is fine as worms soon find it, they like it for digestion I think!

Incidentally there is a new feature now, you can post photos using the “Choose File” button below the box you write in.

Rhys
    Participant

Well

That’s when you apply 5kg/square metre, which is rather a lot!!

My hunch is that the application of the rock dust means that all the trace elements needed by worms, soil bacteria, fungi and plants become more bioavailable, everything ticks over more effectively.

Whether the analytical tools exist yet to be able to measure concentrations of optimally available trace elements in soil I don’t know, but the only way to really understand this is to correlate long-term growth/yield measurements with the corresponding levels of trace element bioavailability.

One suspects that the next big advance in the holistic understanding of soil productivity will be in this arena, but it’s highly complex, as you have to overlay the variables of climate, soil type and precipitation levels when interpreting data.

davidk
    Participant

Yes it’s wonderful you can now blow-up the pics to see them much clearer! 

& yes this version is no-dig too bigger & faster!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags