Climbing french beans

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Climbing french beans

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JD 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

al
    Participant

Hi everyone- couple of q’s- why do I have so much trouble getting the growing tips to wind round the canes? Do they always wind the same way? (I know theres room for winding people up on this question:)) Finally some of mine have lost the tips (see photos)- will they grow new ones?
    Thanks for advice
    Alastair

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cleansweep
    Participant

In Nort east Hampshire (UK), they go anticlockwise if viewed from above……, if that helps.

al
    Participant

Thanks Cleansweep!!

JD
    Participant

In the northern hemisphere they go anti-clockwise and in the southern they go clockwise, though I suppose there will always be a few rogues. You can always tie them in to your canes very loosely to give them a start. Your missing tips could be mechanical eg wind damage or more likely may have been eaten by slugs/snails who love them – check for those. From what I can see it doesn’t appear to be weed killer related. The beans will grow new shoots from leaf nodes, so expect two or three rather than one main shoot, but it will take them a while to do so.
    Good luck
    Jan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags