Compost Going Green

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Compost Going Green

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sarah Bell 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sarah Bell

Dear All,

We make our own compost – and I do everything that I think we should do…However when using it in the greenhouse at the moment it sort of goes green on the top. So when using adding it after a period of time there it goes green. I don’t quite know how else to describe this. Any help would be appreciated

Sarah

Barbara

Hi Sarah
    Your compost is not necessarily the problem. I found the same happens with some bought in compost, especially those with a finer texture such as those containing peat, and when the compost gets too damp, which is likely at this time of year.
    It can also happen when the soil surface is pressed down. My dad taught me to avoid this when potting up and filling seed trays by pressing the compost into the pot until it is nearly full and then sprinkle a layer on the top and not press it down. Watering seed trays and pots from below helps. For compost in beds I would just hoe if the soil is damp or has the green algae on it. This will loosen the surface and and help dry it off. Good ventilation will also help.
    Barbara

Sarah Bell

Thank you Barbara that makes sense and is easy to do. All these small tips make such a difference and is so helpful. Sarah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags