Composting Thermometer – which one is best

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Composting Thermometer – which one is best

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kioralaura 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

kioralaura
    Participant

Hi everyone, we are in the process of wanting a good quality compost thermometer, ie, one that can be left out without the face becoming water logged, etc, and fairly robust so we don’t break it after a short use.

I would be interested to hear your reviews on the ones you use, and for you particularly Charles, because you use yours most professionally out of all of us I would think.

thanks

plantmark
    Participant

kioralaura
    Participant

thanks plantmark, I had looked at this one, but was concerned that it was a bit flimsy with only 5mm thick rod. what sort of size compost piles do you have on the go, ie, are they sort of 1 meter cubed, which is the size we construct? thanks

charles

It’s the one I have used for three years, always strong enough and reliable, good value too.
    My bays are 1.5 sqm and up to 1.5m high, the probe is long enough.
    A waterproof one will be more expensive.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Kioralaura,

I use the TFA Thermometer, which I think is what Charles uses, and I find it very reliable. I don’t deliberately leave it out in the rain but on the couple of occasions I have done there were no ill effects. I wouldn’t deliberately leave it out
    as I see no reason to do so.

Don.

Roshni
    Participant

I use the same one as plantmark does and haven’t had any issues so far. Have had it over a year now. Even left it out a couple of times without ill effect. Am very happy with it.

Derek
    Participant

Got mine from Electronic Temperature Instruments Ltd, but it looks just like the one in the photo above.

kioralaura
    Participant

thanks everyone for your replies, and especially Charles, because I understand just how busy you are at Homeacres!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags