Correct way to harvest Cavolo Nero for longest yield

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Correct way to harvest Cavolo Nero for longest yield

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jane Wilding 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sarahlou

Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the correct way to harvest Cavolo Nero kale so as to get the most from each plant over the longest period? Should I cut the main stalk and allow to re-shoot, or pick leaves from the bottom up?
    Many thanks.
    Sarahlou

gj
    Participant

I pick leaves from the bottom as needed.

Anne Wood
    Participant

Does the same apply to harvesting curly Kale. Starting at the bottom and taking a few leaves from each plant, leaving the growing point in tact. Much as you would harvest lettuces leaves.

charles

You have it right, aiming to leave the growing point intact for fastest regrowth. You then have a very pretty "tree kale" plant with a crown of clean leaves at its top.

Cavolo Nero is a little tricky sometimes as it makes sideshoots which take energy from the leaves above. I push them off but you can leave them if you like the small leaves they grow. 

Jane Wilding

I cut off the top like a cabbage (and eat it of course) whereupon lots of little side shoots like purple sprouting broccoli pop up. Tender and delicious!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags