Czar runners not setting

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Czar runners not setting

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Pete Budd
    Participant

Im sure this will have been covered but a search didnt reveal much. My csar runners are growing and flowering well but not setting hardly any beans. I have noticed that visiting bees inc; bumble and honey bees seem to visit the back of the flowers without actually entering the flower. Any ideas anyone
    Pete Budd

JD
    Participant

People on my allotment site are having the same problem. One even said he’s going to pull his up and start again. I was very late with mine and they haven’t grown yet so I can’t comment. I think it could be the very hot and dry year.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Pete, hope your veg and green manures etc. are doing well?

Bizarre that the bees are considering entering the Csar flowers but then not actually doing so. Mine are only just forming flowers as I was a bit late making sowings this year, so I’d be interested to know if anyone can offer ideas; other than giving them a push, I’m out….

JD
    Participant

Maybe the hot weather is making the flowers slightly wilt so the bees can’t physically get inside??? I know that sometimes they’ll bite the back of the flower to get at the pollen/nectar and thus not actually pollinate it so the bean doesn’t set.
    I seem to have a distant memory of some advice from years ago of drenching the plant in slight sugar solution to encourage bees to pollinate. I’ve not tried it, and quite why this would work over and above keeping them well watered I’m not sure. To my mind it might encourage ants, but could be worth a try on one of them.
    Jan

charles

Yes it’s been happening here too but I often find the first few flowers do not set so well, then suddenly one has a lot of little beans. I am seeing a few now and there is plenty of time.
    The dry heat of midsummer is not conducive to bean setting and I am confident they will start to develop now. Soil moisture definitely encourages bean set, almost as though the plant knows to wait, perhaps mentions that to the bees.
    JD I would save your sugar!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags