Cucumbers

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sarah Bell 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sarah Bell

Dear Charles,

Can you let me know why you pinch out the side shoots on your cucumber plants as opposed to letting them grow on a frame work?

Many thanks as always

Sarah Bell

charles

Hi Sarah

It is to have a smaller number of larger, high quality fruit, on plants that are trained vertically. If the sideshoots were left, a mass of leaves and stems would grow many smaller fruit and with more mildew on leaves. Maybe you should try one to see!

Cucumber plants on the ground do not need sideshooting… 

Melons are different and after all sideshoots are removed from about the first three feet of stem, they need leaving to allow fruit to develop at the first node of each sideshoot (unlike cucumber fruits which grow out of the main stem). It is explained more fully in my Organic Gardening book.

Sarah Bell

Dear Charles,

Thank you as always – I slipped up and for some reason missed reading this in your book. I have read you notes and now am back on track! I continue to be an avid pupil of your work – still loads to learn but it is a wonderful journey!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags