Drowning straws!

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Drowning straws!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

TracyM
    Participant

Hi, hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I moved allotment in September and put in healthy runners from my previous site – they are at the moment drowning and have been for a few days on and off. As they are dormant if go and dig them up will that rescue them or cause other problems? My onions have been washed out of soil, new raspberry canes are are getting boggy too.

Thanks

Tracy

TracyM
    Participant

Sorry – meant drowning strawbs! Doh,

charles

They can certainly recover if the rain relents a little but strawbeeries do like air around their roots and are best planted a little above ground, the top of their crowns visible. I would leave them where they are, and January’s weather forecast looks more optimistic, for southern and central UK at least.

TracyM
    Participant

Ok, will leave them where they are. Thanks for the advice, hope rain relents for few days. Hope it’s ok where you are?!

Tracy.

charles

Lots of rain for sure and this flat ground has puddles or ponds in places after a wet period but does then drain within a day, and most of the half acre looks good for growing. This weather is certainly an opportunity to see the wet spots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags