Dry ground and polythene cover

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Dry ground and polythene cover

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Neilfrazerm 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dakoina
    Participant

On our new plot I covered a huge area with thick, black polythene plastic (11x15m) made of two overlapping pieces of 6m wide PE. Having that kind of plastic available made me really happy, given the size of the plot and the tough thistles and other perennial weeds that crowd the soil. (And since we’re still building our new home here, I’m not a lot in the neighborhood to check up on things).

However, the top layer of soil was still pretty dry (due to the hot summer) when I laid the PE down. That was about two weeks ago. Should I be concerned that the soil will be too dry next year? Should I uncover for a day when rain is forecast?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Cleansweep
    Participant

I have the same thoughts but will wait to see how things progress. If rainfall achieves the average, then the groundwater table will rise across the county and all will be good. If , however , the years trend of deficit continues into next year, I have decided to ‘uncover ‘in January because the probability of snowcover, which will melt progressively, may soak the soil. It would then be intended to recover to maximise solar gain during Feb/March to provide raised soil temperatures for early planting and sowing.
    My observation of your cover photo causes me to feel that on my site, much more weight would be needed to hold down such a large sheet. I try to put something at 2metre centres in all directions, especially along all edges. Last years old bean poles, upturned wheelbarrows, 5 gallon drums filled etc.
    I must get around to making quantities of ‘beanbags’, filled with shingle or similar.

charles

Yes that sheet is amazingly un=weighted!
    Another option is to cut slits, which let the rain through, and put weights on the slits to keep it dark underneath.
    I mostly have used old & damaged polythene sheets which are perfect for that.

Dakoina
    Participant

IT seems unweighted, but there are metal pins on the sides 😉

I could try making some slits. I’ll try that next weekend

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    polythene can rip, especially as it gets older, so weighting it down at points can be problematic … if not now, then some time in the future as it deteriorates and becomes brittle.
    A trick in a very windy part of Scotland was to use old tile battens and weights as follows:
    1. set the tile batten on the edge of the sheet .
    2. Roll the tile batten up two complete turns in the sheet.
    3. At intervals place weights (or pegs) to hold down the batten inside the sheet.

This stops any high winds tearing the sheet off the ground as the force holding it down is stread over a length a not a point.
    However,
    if you do not have high winds, dont bother. Its all in your local context!
    The sheet in the picture would not last a few days North (& West) of the border….
    BR
    Neil

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags