Early yellowing of garlics

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Early yellowing of garlics

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Good morning Charles. Last week I noticed the leaves of garlics I planted in autumn are turning yellow. About half of them are affected in this way. I pulled out one of the weakest ones and noticed a tiny blue-green mould around its neck and another one a bit lower.
    What I saw does not look like the white rot disease that you have described here and in your book “Organic gardening no dig method”. I wonder what is it? Have you seen such a thing before and what I should do? The cloves were both from certified and shop bought garlics. I have noticed the elephant garlics I ordered and just arrived yesterday also have a blue-green mould at their base. I have not yet planted them yet and will wait to see what you can suggest.

charles

Hi Susan
    I would not worry about the leaf yellowing, normal in winter, they should green up in March. Even if there is a little mould, which I have seen before on onion sets too.

For sure it is not white rot but it can sometimes end up rotting sets before planting, when they are too damp in a bag I think, and your garlic is probably feeling damp… I would plant the elephant garlic if the mould is only small, odd patches but not if their whole base is mouldy – you could ask for a refund, I have done that before.

susan
    Participant

Good evening Charles,
    Thank you for your heart warming reply. I am so delighted that my garlics are not sick!
    I wanted to tell you also how much I like your books, all the four of them. I especially like the “Organic gardening: the natural no dig way”. Everydy I go through it and it is my first reference work when I want to look for something about vegetables and fruits and especially which varieties have worked well. Your style of writing is superb when you say “I do this” or “I have done that”. It’s nice to read the work of someone who actually cultivating what he is writing about. You style is superior to the style of posh, elitist BBC gardening programs and their books. You are one of us.

charles

Well it is lovely to have your feedback and I am glad my writing is helping you grow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags