Establishing perennials

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Establishing perennials

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

andrew.metheven
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve just got a new allotment, hurrah! A half plot, which is plenty. My new plot has all the common perennial weeds, including horsetail, and I’m slowly cutting back and heavily mulching (multiple layers of cardboard and several inches of compost/manure) all the areas that will be annual beds. I also want to get as many perennial vegetables and fruit in as possible, especially asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb, and some more fruit trees, and I’m wondering what advice folks would have for these – I’m wondering whether it will be sufficient to plant through or even on top of a similar mulch as the annual beds – have others done this? With what results? I’m questioning my ability to dig out every last bit of horsetail if I were to dig (I’ve got two young kids and plenty of work on at the moment), so can imagine it coming back fairly quickly if I did try and dig it out.

Thanks,
    Andrew

charles

You don’t need to dig out horsetail, better no to, use the Seach bar for enlightenment on this, and Stringfellow is your expert.
    I would not plant perennials until next winter, plenty to do before then and it will be much easier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags