field trials with coffee

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing field trials with coffee

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

Hello Charles have you undertaken any field trials using spent coffee grounds. Back in the autumn I started spreading coffee grounds on various raised beds on my plot. I raked over approx 2 to 3 inches and left this for the worms to pull in. I also mulched this around my lambs lettuce which has cropped magnificently well. Looking closely at the soil surface today I have noticed huge amounts of worm casts which I’ve never had before. My soil looks in great fettle this spring even after all the winter rain. I’m lucky that I have a local Costa that give me all there spent grounds.

charles

Hey Ladbrokes that is amazing! I do not have access to enough coffee but it sounds highly worthwhile for anyone who does. When my new-format website goes live (its always happening next month!) you can upload pics. 

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hey Ladbrokes, glad things are looking good for this coming spring.

After spreading coffee grounds on beds I’ve also noticed lots of worm activity. Can’t say if its specifically due to the coffee grounds tho! They also seem to work well when added to the compost heap.

Our local Costa mixes all their other rubbish with the grounds which means it’s not good to collect. Also, Starbucks where I collected grounds in the past has now stopped bothering to bag them up – a real shame and not in keeping with their ethos.

ladbrokes

I guess I’m spoilt as every 2 weeks my local Costa bag up 2×75 ltr bags I leave them. I call in empty into my van and deposit into the tonne builders bags I have on my plot.

I’d be happy to take some pics Charles to show how its working.

Incidently could I use spent coffee to earth up potatoes.

I’ve also made a trug on top of pallets to grow spinach and lettuce in. Its about 8″ deep
    I’ve put 1yr old cow manure, fresh multi purpose compost and spent coffee grounds. Would it be worth adding sieved chicken run compost as a top dressing.

bluebell
    Participant

I have not considered using anything like that volume but have noticed good crops where I have put a sprinkling of grounds around the plants and put it down to the slugs not being keen on traveling over them. I just asked the canteen where I’m currently working and they pop the grounds back in to the bags they came out of. So when ever Im near the canteen I pop in to see what is available, not quite Costa volumes but all helpful :)

charles

Sounds like coffee grounds have many possibilities, yes why not try some for earthing up potatoes as you have a good amount? Do email a couple of medium res. photos, I shall post them.

I don’t think your trug would need any chicken pellets from the description you give, plenty of fertility already.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags