Flame gun

Community Community Garden Problems Weeds Flame gun

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kiwicoops 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Somerset

Time is short on our plot. We don’t have time to hoe or weed the paths between the beds. We don’t fancy chemical methods – so am thinking of a flame gun. Is this a good idea? If so, any advice as to which to buy.

Pete Budd
    Participant

I think it depends on how many weeds there are on your paths. If its just the odd one a small flame gun would suffice but to be honest you might as well knock em up with a hoe. I use a push pull, two sided hoe mostly and find it quite quick and easy. If your paths are well covered in weeds it might be better to hire an industrial flame gun, (the type used to burn off road markings), but I know from experience that can be expensive. Personally I don`t think a flame gun is going to save any time in the long run, weeding is a case of little and often. Another solution might be to lay “woven fibre” weed suppressing membrane, I bought some off the internet recently to lay between some rows of newly planted raspberries.

Pete

kiwicoops

The idea is to lightly scorch the foliage and the plant has an overreaction and poisons itself, so bigger is not necessarily better. Its tempting to dessicate the foliage, which would kill of annuals but perennials need the light scorch technique.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags