Flea beetle & DE

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Flea beetle & DE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  diggernotdreamer 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Grannyjack
    Participant

My red pepper plants in the greenhouse have flea beetle. I have spent some time on the internet this morning &, as well as the usual sprays (not keen, I have come across something called diatomaceous earth – food grade. Are other gardeners using this & if so how effective is it?

Any information on controlling these hoppity pests would be welcome.

bluebell
    Participant

I cannot be much help except to say that I have had dreadful problems with flea beatle this year and the only way I reduced damage was to remove covers so the birds could get at them.

A fellow allotment holder did suggest walking down the row flapping about a bit of sticky paper as you tap the plant but we dedided that this was probably as much therapy for the grower as cure for the flea beetle.

I use DE, you don’t need to use food grade, just the poultry one. I use it in my hen house to control red mite. It is a very fine powder and quite tricky to puff on the plants. I tried it out on some aphids in the tunnel and then rinsed it off a few hours later, I am a bit concerned about harming rove beetles and ladybirds so did not want to leave it on too long. It did seem to work. The flea beetle thing is a well known way to deal with them, brushing along the tops of the plants with a bit of cardboard with vaseline on captures them as they jump up and you can go over them a couple of times a day until you have reduced the numbers, guess if you catch a few makes you feel better:)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags