Flowering rhubarb

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Flowering rhubarb

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

archiecolliedog
    Participant

I have 4 rhubarb plants, 2 definitely are the same variety, 1 definitely isn’t – it’s Victoria – and the 4th I’m not sure about. This year, the Victoria and one other went straight to flower; the other two are producing good strong stems and haven’t thrown up any flower spikes. They are all together and have been treated exactly the same, with a good manure mulch in autumn and then some more in the early spring. Any idea why this has happened?

Grannyjack
    Participant

I would be interested in knowing why this has happened this year. Possibly the weather pattern?? On our allotments I have noticed a lot of flowering rhubarb plants.

charles

It must be the weather!!

Pinch or pull out any flowering rhubarb stems as soon as you see them. Mine has barely flowered and is Timperley Early. Its season is early March until now, best to stop picking it in early July. I tried Victoria and was disappointed. Mulching and manuring helps as rhubarb is greedy and loves moisture.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags