Foxes, and fox poo

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Foxes, and fox poo

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  monica 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

J S Bean
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve got a raised bed in my garden used for salads (veg and everything else is at the allotment). Recently, something has taken to pooing in the bed.

I think it’s a fox, based on the poo, but I suppose it could be a cat.

It seems to prefer the areas that are bare – either because I’ve harvested something, or where I’ve planted seeds and they’ve not sprouted yet. There’s usually a small amount of digging/scuffing of the soil and an unpleasant brown gift left behind.

What would others do in this situation?

I’ve tried using a smelly mixture of water, garlic and chillies to see if that deters it, but with mixed success (the fox doesn’t visit every night, but I don’t know if that is normal, or as a result of my spray).

I don’t want to harm the fox, or do anything that would deter other, less damaging wildlife from the garden (birds, hedgehogs, etc.). But I don’t want it pooing where I’m trying to grow salad.

Lastly, what would you do about the food being produced in the bed? Is it safe to eat? There’s not masses and masses of poo (as I’m pretty good at spotting it and getting rid of it), but it is close to some of my leaves.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JD
    Participant

Net the bed. Should deter both fox and cat.
    Think leaves should be ok unless directly pooped on. Maybe remove outer leaves as precaution. Think sunlight would degrade most pathogens over time, but I’m not a biologist so don’t take as gospel.
    Jan

J S Bean
    Participant

Thanks Jan. I’ll get some netting over the weekend.

monica
    Participant

I simply stuck in some hazel twigs: as soon as the bare and loose soil is covered and they can’t move and dig , they go elsewhere.
    Beware of the poo: the tapeworm echinococcus multilocularis is quite awful to die from… better remove the surrounding soil as well

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags