Freezing French Beans

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Freezing French Beans

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Green 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mike Green
    Participant

I have frozen beans in the past, but when coming to eat them they are wet and mushy. I ended up throwing quite a few away last year. This year I have tried blanching then freezing, but same result.I wonder if it is a variety thing – do some freeze better than others, or is it just that domestically you can’t blast freeze them like Birds Eye do?
    has anybody got any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mike

polo71
    Participant

Hi Mike, we freeze dwarf French beans and have no problem. What we do is harvest them when they are about as thick as the “thin beans” you see in the supermarkets. I top and tail them and cut into roughly 2″ lengths and the give them a good wash, leave to dry for about 30 mins and then freeze on a tray for about and hour then into a air tight zip lock bag making sure I get every bit of air I can out then back in the freezer.
    We tend to cook them with peas we have harvested and frozen in salted boiling water for 5 mins max come out with a slight crunch and still a luverly green colour.
    We also use the tray method for freezing chilli and sweet peppers that we cut to size ready to use in stir fry sources

good luck

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Brilliant tip!

Mike Green
    Participant

Thank you Polo – looks delicious – I will give it a try.
    Cheers
    Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags