Garden Peas Greenshaft

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Garden Peas Greenshaft

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Firstly, Happy new year to you and yours.
    Up till now I planted my Garden Peas in double rows, 5cm between plants in the row and rows 20cm apart, double rows 60cm apart.
    This season I plan to try your clump method, 2-3 plants per station 15cm apart. Can I plant the clumps in similar fashion to my previous double row method and could I still use the 20cm spacing? The rows of clumps, as with the single planting method will be staggered. My gut feeling says yes as I am not getting anymore plants into the area then I would using my original method, but as always I value your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice,
    Don.

charles

Hi Don, yes I would continue with those same spacings but 15cm between your plants, may your crop be good.

beverley
    Participant

Hi Don,

Could you point me in the direction of the instructions for Charles’s clumping method please?

Many thanks

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Beverley,

The method is called multisowing. It is mentioned in a number of Charles’s Books. There is a brilliant Article on the subject under the “Learn” tag at the top of this page that will give you all the information you need.
    And here is a link to one of Charles’s Videos on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOM2gzL0AQ.
    Hope that helps.

Don.

beverley
    Participant

Many thanks Don for saving me time searching for the info. I had seen the video and use the method for beetroot, etc – just hadnt registered the peas! I will give your method a try this year.

Best wishes,
    Beverley

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Thank you.

Don.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Beverley,

Your welcome. I have always had to plant Peas in modules/guttering because of problems with birds/mice and it was very fiddly transplanting so many seedlings (24′ row). This method will make the process so much easier.

Don.

Rhys
    Participant

Don

Dan of allotment-diary.co.uk sows his peas in guttering filled with compost and germinates them in his polytunnel, which he then slides into a trench in his plot when the young shoots are ready. He had problems with mice too. He has done a few videos about it and seems to get very good results too……

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Rhys,
    I use that method also but it to can be fiddly. On the whole I think the multisowing method is probably the best system.
    Don.

Rhys
    Participant

I use multisowing too. I was just mentioning it as a friendly comment!

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Rhys,

I took it as such! What I was actually trying to convey is that when I try removing the Peas from the guttering it invariably comes out in broken sections of 3, 4 or 5 seedlings. It never slides out as we see in the various Videos on the subject.

Don.

charles

Good point about guttering Don and often things that are made to look easy on say videos, or described in writing, are not!
    Another example is “lifting parsnips by first pushing down, then pulling out with no fork needed” That simply does not work here, I use my copper spade in fact, and is applicable in my experience only to loose perhaps sandy soil, not dense silt and clay.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I have exactly the same experience with my Parsnips. A little spade work and gentle teasing have to be applied.

Don.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags