Garlic

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wellies
    Participant

Hi Charles / All.
    A friend is giving me a lot of garlic. I don’t know what variety just described as “long keeping”.
    I was planning on keeping it and planting it next year but I saw my friend last night and she says it now has 1/4″ green shoots coming from each clove. I created a composted bed under plastic about 6 months ago ready for strawberries and garlic. I am wondering if I should uncover the plastic, plant and net this garlic as it is now December 22nd?

Derek
    Participant

I think you should get it in as soon as possible.
    If you mean you want to keep until the normal autumn planting time, by then it will probably have sprouted and maybe rotted.
    Didn’t bother netting mine this year and it has been fine (so far!)
    Good luck.
    Derek

charles

Yes Wellies, plant now, today if not already.
    As you see, it wants to grow, and will be fine in your uncovered bed.
    Derek I guess he is netting against birds pulling it out, perhaps rabbits too.

Wellies
    Participant

Charles / Derek.
    I shall get it in the ground asap. Christmas / relatives invasion are happening for a couple of days at the moment. I planted some garlic last year and it was all destroyed by an unknown pest that kept removing any green that grew so I shall net over them. We do have the odd pigeon still and a few rabbits.

Wellies
    Participant

The Christmas invasion is over and I now have a bag of garlic in my hand. A mixture if solent white and merlot apparently.
    Should I plant them individually or in clumps of 4 or 5?
    I think I have read or seen one of your videos showing this, although maybe it was onions in groups of 4 or 5 ?

charles

It was onions. Garlic grows better with more space, say 10cm between cloves at planting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags