Green waste

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Dalesman 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I was wodering how much people pay for their green waste?
    Our council in Lincs outsourced it, in 2005.
    I have two alottments each 10mx30m,started in the last two seasons.I have quite a bit of horse manure available,free of charge and made 2 cubic metres of compost last year.However this is never going to be enough for me to go “full no dig” even though I have put a fair bit of the gardens to fruit/asparagus etc..
    The company that now control the g/waste are charging £65 per 1000L bag,how does this compare with other parts of the country?

Paul
    Participant

*Allotments

Derek
    Participant

No intention of buying any, but out of interest just looked up my local council product and it is £4 per 60l bag, 3 for £10. Take the lower price and it works out around £55 per 1000l. You do have to collect it though from a local tip site.

Anyone have any experience of CPA Horticulture? They seem to be cheap if you buy a decent amount.

Derek

charles

Paul this is a good question and it varies widely, from what I hear.
    Our local Viridor sell for around £35/tonne delivered, or more if further away.
    CPA Horticulture in Camarthen sell nationally for £90/1000l.
    At that price, one inch a year rather than two is worth looking at! Plus local free (if collected) horse manure if there is any.

Paul
    Participant

Hi Paul
    I have bought from CPA that Charles recommends on his site. 20 bags of 75 litres of compost is £135 . I thought that quite reasonable.

Can’t wait it arrives on 1st March.

Paul

colin
    Participant

Here in Noth Norfolk I can get mushroom compost 5 x bags (assume 40lit) £10 or bulders bag £35/40.

There is a shop called Roys tha do 60 lt bags at £2.99

When been to tip the council bags seem rather expensive at around £5 bag no idea of size would suspect 40 lit.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies,it’s free delivery so I think I will buy one dumpy bag in the autumn to see what it’s like..
    I got given 1500 litres of spent compost last Feb (it had been in unused polytunnel beds for three years without water)I spread it on two 15×1.8m beds and covered with membrane,then grew pumpkins/courgette squashes.They all grew fantastically.Took the membrane off in October and planted one bed with overwintered onions/garlic,all growing really well, under snow at the minute though.The most important point though,is that there are absolutely no weeds at all.Whereas in my own compost,Im having to swish the rake over cos I’m seeing thousands of seedlings even in Feb..I’m now “No dig and proud” lol.

Rhys
    Participant

Paul

CPA prices become ever more reasonable the more you buy. I have not bought but did research prices for horse manure and 2.7 cubic metres (£145) is not radically more expensive than 1 cubic metre (£115), as much of the cost is the implied delivery charge. Mushroom compost is slightly cheaper, £125 for 3.0 cubic metres. A mix of farmyard manure/mushroom compost is £140 for 2.7 cubic metres. For some regions of the country (not for me) there is an excess delivery charge which may be up to £20.

I have not enquired on prices for loose deliveries of lorry loads, but I suspect that is the relevant volume needed for a full 10 rod allotment.15 cubic metres for a first treatment of 10cm then 7.5 cubic metres for 5cm thereafter would cover 150sqm of growing beds.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Provenders (Kent / London) provide organic compost at 36.00 for a bulk bag and composted mushroom or horse manure at 40.00.
    Prices available to allotment societies.

charles

Another option is Melcourt, based in the Cotswolds, they make great compost of all kinds and sell in both bags, and larger quantities
    https://www.melcourt.co.uk/products/builders-merchants-trade-outlets/composts-and-soil-conditioners/

vivienz
    Participant

I’ve just joined the forum and bumping this thread as I plan to start some no-dig beds on a new kitchen garden in about a month’s time in north Dorset, and will need quite a bit of compost for it. I have been looking at the Viridor company up near Yeovil in Somerset and, I’m guessing, that’s the one that Charles has mentioned. Can anyone give me an opinion on the quality of the compost from this type of source? I’d like to use peat-free compost, if at all possible.
    Thanks!

KevL
    Participant

Hi Vivienz

I am also in North Dorset (in Gill) and into year 3 no dig. I use mushroom compost (as opposed to green waste) from Henry Stanley at Pitton. You can find it on the internet.

You will need to call him for a quote.

Let me know if you would like to see a sample of what I have. Good luck!

Kev L

vivienz
    Participant

Hi Kev,
    Thanks for the tip. I rang Viridor and their quote was really competitive, so I think I shall try them to start with once I’m ready. I thought I might see if Fiddleford Mushrooms sell their spent mushroom compost as well – even closer as we’re near Sturminster Newton.
    Thanks again,
    Vivien

Dalesman
    Participant

Are there any “nasties” in ex non organic mushroom compost?
    I really don’t want to import anything into our garden that’s not 100% safe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags