Greenhouse cultivation

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Greenhouse cultivation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Pete Budd
    Participant

I have just put up a 12 x 8ft greenhouse on what is effectively virgin soil. I am going to grow tomatoes, cucumber and peppers, planted in the soil. Does anyone know how many years I can carry this on for, before something nasty appears.

Cheers

Pete

charles

Hello Pete, that is exciting. 

I carelessly brought red spider mite into my tunnel on a bought cucumber plant, in the tunnel’s first year on virgin soil. But my tunnel at Lower had 15 years without any of that pest.

Tomatoes crop a little less vigorously every year, I think from root predators in the soil – but you can keep growing them without changing soil and I think French marigolds help. I do a two year rotation for tomatoes, growing cucumber, melon, basil every other year. Though in a 12×8 its tight for rotating and plant roots travel laterally a long way.

A nice time you can have, seeing what happens, and your high-quality compost will help. 

Liz
    Participant

I too have just bought a 10×8 greenhouse. Very excited. My plan is to have tomatoes, peppers etc in the soil one side, staging and shelving the other. What are your thoughts on staging … Slats, or a fixed tray with stones? I thought slats might be allow too much air to circulate and therefore be too drying, but tray with stones would block out any light to the shelf below. Any advice welcome!

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Liz

What are you thinking of growing on the staging? If it is seedlings do you realy need that much space?

charles

Bluebell’s point is good Liz, you may need only half that especially with 3 or 4cm module trays, for example, and its worth googling module tray to see. I like the Gardman 60 cell tray but its not that easy to find.

Yes I recommend you go for staging, drainage is vital and staging is a nice balance of drainage and retaining moisture. Avoid stones as they can harbour slugs. Have fun.

Liz
    Participant

Thanks Charles and Bluebell. Hoping to grow seedlings, veg and flowers. So best not to have stones on the staging or the ground (under the staging) if encourages slugs. Is capillary matting a better idea?

charles

Its up to you, I have always grown without it but some gardeners like it. Its another expense though and certainly not necessary.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags