Growing brambles in containers

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Growing brambles in containers

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kath 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kath
    Participant

Morning all

This might seem an odd question as most of the time we are trying to get rid of brambles…

Our allotment site, like most I guess, has masses of brambles dotted about the place. As much is I like the fruit, I am not keen on the plants and so keep trying to stop them invading my patch from neighbouring plots (thought I was doing ok until the last couple of weeks when I spotted new shoots emerging from the ground). Recently though I have begun to wonder if I could actually take advantage of them and create new fruit bushes, by sticking some of the arching stems into containers of compost, allowing them to root and then cutting off from the main plant.

Would this work, do you think? Maybe I would be able to control its growth better?

Cheers

Kath

Cleansweep
    Participant

Well you could but….
    I wouldn’t!
    because:
    in my case ground is limited for cultivation and priorities exceed blackberries. There are many acres of ‘wild’ blackberry brambles within a mile.
    If giving up growing space and having the need to contain/protect/nurture/harvest I would be tempted to grow a cultivated hybrid or two for better fruit.
    Your neighbours will think your letting it ‘go to rack ‘n ruin’; and probably not resist’just pickin a few’ole berries…

Kath
    Participant

Thanks Cleansweep, I might just stick with gathering wild fruit and trying to keep invaders at bay.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags