Harvesting Melons

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Harvesting Melons

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  amy lynn 5 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Perry
    Participant

Can anyone let me know how to tell when it is the best time to harvest (sweet) melons?

Jayjay
    Participant

Perry, I understand that they are ready when there is slight cracking around the stem bit where it meets the fruit. I notice this sometimes and think, ‘I’ll harvest those tomorrow‘ only to find the next morning that the slugs and woodlice have beaten me to first bite! Also at this time, there is a slight smell of ripe melon, much stronger when the pests have broken the surface.

My crop of Antalya Melons in the polytunnel is looking great, due to the hot weather I would imagine.
    Enjoy.
    Jeanette

Perry
    Participant

Thank you Jeanette, I’ll keep an eye on them for the signs you have mentioned. They have been growing well and are still giving new ones too…

lizcolvin
    Participant

I found one with cracks this morning and we ate it at lunch, but I think I have over-watered them, as it was watery, and dull. I shall now be more restrained, Also I wonder about picking them when they are nearly ready and leaving them in the sun.

amy lynn
    Participant

Thank you Jeanette

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags