Hello!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ben Matthews 14 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Ben Matthews

Just wanted to say hello and thanks to Charles for the inspiration he’s given me in adopting a No Dig policy and for such great information on growing salads. I took on an allotment in March with my partner, only a small one about 30ft x 30ft. Although I’ve done gardening before this has been my first proper project. The ground was previously uncultivated grass land on a reasonable slope with tons of brambles and other perennial roots. We worked out we could fit 6 beds into the space and leave room for a small poly tunnel, perennial herb bed, and composting/comfrey area. We double dug the soil (Hard compact clay) and meticulously cleared all the scraps of weeds from it and added lots of mushroom compost. The breaking up of the compact soil caused the soil level to increase by around 6 inches so we put some recycled wood around them all. Then we built the poly tunnel (6ft by 8ft) made from recycled materials too.

I bought ‘Organic Gardening’ around June time I think and was really inspired. It was great to read how Charles advised the preparation of new ground in pretty much the exact way we had done. Adopting a No dig method from where we were at that time seemed to make perfect sense.

The advice on salads has been great. I’ve eaten so much salad this year and I have to say it’s the one thing that stands out as tasting completely different from the salad you can buy in supermarkets. I was growing lettuce before I read the book but harvesting them whole which wasn’t half as productive as the Dowding method. The advice on different types of salads and dates has been most helpful. The winter salads in the tunnel are coming on really well now.

It’s been great reading the ‘In the garden this month’ articles as well. Being in Bristol (not too far from Charles) and on a clay soil, I’ve been re-assured many a time by reading that Charles has been having troubles with similar crops in that period (or contrarily successes)

Looking forward to the forum!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags