help with raspberries

Community Community General Gardening Fruit help with raspberries

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

i have raspberries in my fruit cage that i dont know if they are summer or autumn. they fruited well last yr right into autumn. some are approx 5ft tall others are smaller. should i chop them all back to 6″ then label them after this yrs fruiting.

charles

If they fruited into autumn, they are autumn raspberries… and they are cut back to a few inches of stem in winter. You could also leave a few plants unpruned to give earlier fruit in July.

Summer raspberries give fruit late June and through July, depending on variety, and are pruned when they finish fruiting as the long stems then die off, while new growth comes through and needs tying into wire or trellis supports.

Autumn raspberries can grow without support but are easier to pick when kept upright.

Sarahlou

Hi

I have a similar problem, but I took over my allotment late in the season and have no idea whether my large raspberry bed contains summer or autumn varieties. I basically cut everything back to near ground level in about October in the hope that all would become clear this coming summer! I’d like to know if this might have created a cropping problem this season?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags