Help with some English vegetable names

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Help with some English vegetable names

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Vinther 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Vinther
    Participant

Hello,

I’m rather new to Charles’ no-dig, and English gardening literature and videos in general, and there are some English vegetable names that google translates to the same Danish names, so I’m a bit confused by the below name pairs. In some contexts they seem to be synonyms and in other cases they are mentioned individually. I’d appreciate if someone could explain the subtle differences.

Brassica – Cabbage
    Lettuce – Salad
    Calabrese – Broccoli
    Celeriac – Celery

Thanks
    Erik
    A self-appointed, and passionate Danish no-dig Ambassador 🙂

beverley
    Participant

HI Erik

These are good questions indeed! They have been lurking in my mind for some time and your post motivated me to find out,

Brassica =
    Brassica (/ˈbræsɪkə/) is a genus of plants in the mustard family (Brassicaceae). The members of the genus are informally known as cruciferous vegetables, cabbages, or mustard plants. Crops from this genus are sometimes called cole crops—derived from the Latin caulis, denoting the stem or stalk of a plant (Wikipedia)

CABBAGE – a specific member of the brassica family,

LETTUCE/SALAD – Lettuce is a specific leafy vegetable usually used in salads. SALAD can be a generic term that includes, as well as lettuce, other leaves used in salads, including chicories, herbs, edible flowers and a whole host of other leaves. SALAD can also refer to vegetables used in salads, such as cucumber, tomatoes, etc.

CLABRESE/BROCCOLI – I too have been curious about this and apparently the two terms are generally confused. The website QUICKGROW.COM says:https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/brocolli-calabrese

The supermarkets have helped to confuse the issue of what is broccoli and what a calabrese by calling both by either name. The large green heads you see in the photo (and generally referred to as broccoli) is Calabrese whereas the much smaller heads which can be green, purple or white are broccoli. The flavour of calabrese is milder and much preferred by many to sprouting broccoli and it is an easier crop to grow.

Celeriac and celery are two forms of vegetable derived from the wild plant apeum graveolens. Celery is grown for its stalks and leaves; celeriac is grown for its bulbous “roots”.

Thats a start and may be a help. it was an interesting exercise for me to look into the difference.
    Best wishes
    Beverley

Vinther
    Participant

Hi Beverly,

Thank you for explaining. Now i understand 🙂

Regards
    Erik

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags